3 Tips for Staying Fit While Traveling
Whether you’re working all day and tired or you’ve been eating out for every meal, staying fit while traveling is tough work. You may not always have access to a gym or fitness center, and all those fancy meals can sure do a number on your diet. Traveling should be fun, though, and even when you’re away from home you can still stay fit.
If you’ve been wondering how to stay fit while traveling, check out these tips:
Take advantage of the outdoors while you’re traveling. Whether it’s walking the streets of a city or searching for running paths, a little fresh air is always good. There are apps out there like Map My Run that will provide you with various trails and paths to take, or just ask your hotel concierge for recommendations.
Pack Healthy Snacks
Bring healthy snacks in small baggies, and sealed containers to keep you satisfied during the day. Pack extra food for strenuous adventures, and outdoor activities. You’ll stay healthy, and save money. Nut bars, trail mix, cut up fruits & veggies, or even a jar of peanut butter are healthy, portable options to keep you full.
Smart Restaurant Choices
These can make or break a diet. Think about the same things you would if you were home:
- Take a look at the menu online or ahead of time, if available.
- Choose meat and fish items that are steamed, broiled, baked, grilled, poached or roasted.
- Choose vegetables that have been steamed over sautéed or fried.
- Ask for dressing accompaniments on the side such as dressing, sour cream, cheese, and mayonnaise.
- Limit alcohol – I would suggest not doing this while you are in travel, especially if you are driving. If you have other modes and must partake, go for a glass of wine; lite beer; or a small a liquor with club soda, water, or on the rocks.